Sunday, October 17, 2010

Ninja Waffles *drool*

One of my very good friends turned me on to a waffle recipe so amazing, they have been dubbed "Ninja Waffles." They'll be consumed so quickly- you won't even see them disappear. They swipe in with their super goodness and make children AND mom's happy.

Yup- they really are THAT awesome. Lucky for my followers, I'm going to share the secret of the Ninja Waffle with you. Enjoy them, pass the recipe on and live in awe of the greatness that is, Ninja.

First off- this recipe makes quite a few waffles. I have an 8" round waffle iron and I get about 18-20 waffles. (actually, I have 2 8" round waffle irons... because I make these regularly and it helps to make 2 at a time.) But, no worries about the extras- they freeze up wonderfully, toast up perfectly under the broiler in less than 2 minutes, and are a PERFECT on the go breakfast food for the whole family.

See why they are so amazing? Kiss those silly little premade store waffles goodbye. These bad boys are filling and are full of good for you stuffs... just don't tell the family, they'll be weirded out.


To begin: You'll need 4 cups of buttermilk. If you're like me, you do not usually keep buttermilk on hand. The substitute is far too easy of an alternative to mess with keeping more stuff in the fridge. In your big mixing cup- add 4 tablespoons of lemon juice before measuring your milk... then, fill up to the proper amount. *this works anytime you need buttermilk- it is a 1 tablespoon to 1 cup ratio* Stir really well and let sit off to the side for 10-15 minutes.


Next you'll be mixing your dry ingredients into a big mixing bowl:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger (a must!)
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup milled flax seed








In a medium sized mixing bowl, melt 1/2 cup butter. Stir in 1/4 cup brown sugar until well dissolved. The more you allow the sugar to dissolve into the butter, the easier it'll be to incorporate the mix into your dry ingredients. As you can see, I use a fork.



Combine 1 tablespoon of vanilla to the butter/sugar mix. Then mix in 6 large eggs- ensuring they are well blended. Slowly combine your soured milk mixture while stirring the mix so the sugar does not settle back to the bottom.


Slowly pour wet ingredients into the dry bowl. Mix well.



At this glorious point- think of your batter as a blank canvas. You can pretty much add anything YOU are willing to eat. Nuts, chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, fruit and seeds all come to mind. I will personally add that the peanut butter chips are my number one. However on this occasion I added 3 cups of blueberries to the batter. *when adding fruit, you will need to grease your iron more often* The results are just so darn yummy...





As I stated above, these freeze REALLY well. As I pull them from the iron, they cool completely on my cookie rack. Then I stack them 3 high and place them in the freezer until frozen solid. I then store them in groups of 6 in gallon sized ziplock bags. They MUST be cooled before going into the freezer and they cannot be stacked very high. The taller the stack, the heavier they are... the heavier they are- the more the bottoms ones get squished while freezing. If they squish together, they'll be harder to get apart in the morning... and if you're anything like me, you do not need any added stress to your morning routine. So, just make sure those wonderful tasty treats are frozen solid before stacking them too tall.

In the morning, or afternoon, or late at night... when you are ready for a waffle, turn your oven on to broil and put the rack up high- pull out however many waffles you need, and lay them under the heat. Keep an eye on them, it doesn't take long... less than a minute! Flip once (twice sometimes... if you feel a cool spot) and you're READY!


Trust me... you'll love me for this recipe. So, you're welcome.

3 comments: